Sunday, August 8, 2010

Having fun with Voki!



I'm starting to plan a SOSE unit for a Year 3/4 class working in the Political and economic systems strand. I like the idea of using a Voki to engage the students in a subject that might not be very appealing to them. Working with an animated character will add some intrigue and fun to the topic. I can see the Voki introducing each lesson and setting out the tasks to be completed - it's like having another teacher in the classroom - one that Year 3/4 students will relate to and enjoy seeing each week. Using a Voki will help with classroom climate as well as classroom tasks!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I totally agree and believe Vokis offer many benefits for the classroom. I think your grade 3/4 class will really enjoy the "additional teacher" or "alternative voice" in the room. I can personally see myself using a Voki as an additional character in roleplays or even as fictional "expert" characters to set the scene for learning. There are some great ideas for using Vokis on the EduBlogger site. You can access this link via my blog if you like.

    Regards
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    I think this is a fantastic and engaging tool to use in your classroom. It not only encourages students to look beyond themselves into the wider community but also allows students to be engaged with learning that is participatory, proactive, communal, collaborative, and essentially constructs meaning on a personal level (Brady, 2006).
    Thanks for taking the time to share this great tool!

    Warm regards
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pauline - I'm following you so will make sure I check the EduBlogger link. Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna, I hadn't thought of Voki's in all the ways that you outlined from Brady - thanks for extending my thinking! Digital natives will naturally see a Voki as part of their world and that will certainly help them to construct meaning on a personal level. Thanks for this. Kim

    ReplyDelete